Steve Jobs who will be forever remembered for revolutionising consumer technology into millions of homes will now, through the company he founded, add to his list of achievements. Jobs vision was to create futuristic headquarters built with the same attention to detail as he builds his products whilst still reflecting the California landscape he was brought up in.
Jobs intended the “Apple Park to be the home of innovation for generations to come,” said Apple’s chief executive Tim Cook.
Apple is one of the biggest companies in the world, so it comes as no surprise that it is quickly outgrowing its current headquarters.
Apple has announced that it will begin moving staff into the new headquarters in April, opening a futuristic campus that has been in development for six years.
Here are 15 of the most interesting facts about the Apple Park, known as “Spaceship headquarters” in Cupertino, California.
15 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE APPLE PARK
1. One of the most important additions to the Park is the “Steve Jobs Theatre”, an auditorium that seats 1,000 and is located on the highest point within the Apple Park
2. The campus is 175-acres
3. The land alone cost US $160 million
4. There are 7,000 trees surrounding the campus
5. Apple has hired a leading Stanford University arborist to landscape the area
6. 100,000-square-foot fitness centre
7. 1,000 bikes will be kept on site and available for staff to use around campus
8. 18-foot custom-designed tables
9. 2.8 million square feet of office space
10. It will take six months to move all of its employees to the headquarters
11. Will hold over 14,000 employees
12. Has a visitor centre that will be open to the public
13. 300,000 square feet of research and development facilities
14. The building is naturally ventilated- which means it will require no heating or air conditioning
15. The buildings walls are made entirely of the world’s largest panels of curved glass
This is not the only development plan Apple has in mind. In 2021 a new HQ in London is set to open, at Battersea Power Station. Attached below is a sneak preview of what Apple’s new London HQ is predicted to look like.
Jobs said in 2011 that he wanted the California campus to be the “best office building in the world.” It is without doubt that Jobs has very much achieved this and seems Apple will continue to strive to build the ‘best office buildings’ all over the world in his honour.